Sunday, July 14, 2024

Discovering Dispersed Camping

 Dispersed camping is my preferred choice. The challenge is invigorating, and the sense of discovering a secret spot is thrilling—and it's free! (sometimes referred to as "Wild Camping")

Dispersed camping refers to camping in national forests outside of designated campgrounds. This form of camping offers no services like trash removal and minimal to no facilities such as tables and fire pits (most of the site I have found and stayed at had firepits). Boondocking is another term for dispersed camping, specifically on public lands.

Many people use an app to locate such sites; I use iOverlander® for finding dispersed camping spots. I've been pleased with the app and have discovered many cool locations.

iOverlander®

First, I select an area and then check the weather forecast for the duration of my camping trip, as well as any fire restrictions. I also look into the mileage and the nearest town. For navigation, I use Waze® in conjunction with iOverlander®. The map also tracks your progress while driving. It may be slow, but it has never posed an issue. I strive to gather as much information about the area and my search objectives as possible. Landmarks, road numbers, and street names are useful in your search. If you are caravaning walkie talkies are a must.



The iOverlander® interface displays like this once you've navigated to your desired camping area. I navigate the screen using my fingers. The quarter-moon icons represent overnight camping spots, typically located in national forests or BLM areas, and are generally easy to locate. The filter is essential as it sets everything, so you'll want to deselect the items you're not interested in. However, take time to review it because it can be an excellent resource for finding a multitude of things.


After finding the area, I tap on the quarter-moons, and a page pops up providing details about what the area offers. I'm particularly interested in the terrain and the required vehicle type. This specific site does not require a 4X4, which I often consider a positive sign for my front-wheel-drive Promaster. 

Wi-Fi is crucial for many people. I don't have Skylink; instead, I use my phone's hotspot and prefer to have at least 2-3 bars of signal strength with Verizon. Additionally, the amenities listed include whether pets are allowed, proximity to food, availability of showers, toilets, and whether the location is a tent or RV site.

This page provides GPS coordinates, indicates whether the site is currently open, lists altitude and distances, shows the last visit date, offers a description, and displays photos from contributors. Additionally, the mapping app includes a 'View', 'Share', and 'Copy Coordinates' section.

Photo from RFL Site on iOverlander®

Now, it's your turn to utilize all available resources to locate your camping spot for the night, weekend, or even a week. Some areas permit camping for up to two weeks at no cost.

Remember, discovering these places can be somewhat nerve-wracking due to the element of the unknown, which can be intimidating. However, for me, this is part of the excitement. It's akin to being an explorer. I relish the journey, stopping as often as necessary to consult maps.

Plan ahead to ensure you have ample time to locate your spot before daylight fades. Be prepared to carry everything out when you depart. Additionally, I make it a point to collect any litter upon arrival and during my camping stay, ensuring I haul it out.

Thank you for checking in on us. I hope this serves as inspiration for you to pursue your dreams and take risks. Remember, you may not get a second chance.

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm moving to Steamboat Springs, Colorado!

  Exciting developments are on the horizon: I've secured a position at Steamboat Springs Resorts and have committed to a year-long lease...