Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Road-OneMonth


It's been incredible!


I have been traveling for a month now and the experience has been incredible. The freedom is overwhelming and the lifestyle is addicting. During my trip, I visited Colorado and New Mexico and I am currently on the Gulf of Coast. My plan is to continue traveling up and down the coast and I am currently located on Magnolia Beach. Magnolia Beach is a 1.5-mile-long stretch of drivable hard-packed sandy beach located on the Texas coast. It is situated on Matagorda Bay and is just 20-25 minutes south of Port Lavaca. One interesting fact about the water in this area is that it is less salty than the ocean because the Colorado and Lavaca Rivers flow into the bay.

The current weather is cloudy and windy, with a chance of rain this evening. The temperature is around 75 degrees with high humidity. The waves are crashing 15 feet away from the van. I am safely inside Vangie, although she is rocking quite a bit! I am planning to stay here for a few more days as this is going to be the pattern for the next several days. The good news is that you are allowed to camp for free for up to 14 days! I haven't paid for camping all month, but I will need to get a permit for some of the Texas camping. There are plenty of opportunities to camp for free, but you can only stay for three days before you have to move on.


Matagorda Bay Pelican
Magnolia Beach  Sunrise








 Seagulls

During my last visit to New Mexico, I decided to explore Guadalupe Mountain, located just outside Carlsbad, NM. Despite the bumpy and dusty road, I managed to reach the top of the mountain and discovered an incredibly secluded spot. The panoramic views of the surrounding vistas were nothing short of spectacular. I was not disappointed with the camping site either. It was worth the journey.
I spent my last night in the Walmart parking lot in Carlsbad. It was my first time doing so. I'm now on my way to Texas and the Gulf Coast!



"Vangie"



Guadalupe Mountain





Magnolia Beach

"Vangie"

Dolley and Dinner

Lots of birds 

Living in a van can be a simple lifestyle that provides a sense of peace and an opportunity to slow down and enjoy life. Not having to work makes it even better. Although I thought not working would be difficult, it is not! I did struggle with slowing down at first, but not for long. 

The beach is an interesting spot because many locals come to fish. I have had conversations with a few locals and some other vanlifers. It's amazing to meet other women who are living their life on the road. Yesterday, I met a lovely woman named Susie who has been traveling in her van for four years. I can completely relate to her desire for freedom! Susie left soon after I arrived, heading to another beach in search of shark teeth.


My favorite person on the beach is Gilbert, he is 87 and known as the honoree "Mayor of Magnolia Beach". 
Gilbert has lived here in Port Lavaca, TX for most of his life. He likes to tell you about his life. He lost both of his parents at the age of four. He worked picking cotton, as a young boy. He met his wife some 20+ years his senior at a dance hall when he was fifteen.  Gilbert loves to dance to Mexican music, his community here, and his church.
Every morning you will find Gilbert on the beach he walks the beach and collects the items that people leave behind, and he has a lot of stories about the things he has come across. 
I introduced myself to Gilbert during my second week here and he now stops by daily for what has become a two-hour visit. Gilbert brings me a Sunny D, and he enjoys a cold drink and sometimes pulls a beer from his cooler. He has been a gift. I enjoy our time. Today we walked the beach and he helped me find some red shells, I did not realize that the beach had these black, white, and red shells that everyone searches for.


"Shell life"

I also met a really cool guy with a cockatoo that he has had for 20 years, Jack. Craig is a very nice and interesting gentleman I met on the beach. He lives here in an RV park. He rides his bike on the beach, with Jack. Craig stops by in the evening around sunset. I have really enjoyed our visits. 


This month has been very meaningful to me. For the past two years, I have been struggling to find a place where I belong and feel accepted, like a friend group. It was difficult for me to believe that I could fit in anywhere. I was dealing with intense anxiety and depression, and I trusted people who ended up hurting me. Last year was a constant battle to get my life back on track.

This last month has been a turning point for me. I've found peace, hope, and serenity. I see myself differently now. I won't let people bring me down like this again. I've learned that I can rely on myself for what I need, and I have people I trust to turn to when I need a friend. I've stopped trying to fit in. 

I still have trust issues, but that's okay. It's how I protect myself. I'm discovering who I am and finding people who accept and love me for who I am. I hope you all have stability in your lives and have someone you can count on. If you don't, please keep fighting and looking. I'm grateful for my friends at work who looked out for me and for those who fought for me. I appreciate those who have made me feel special, but I'm mostly grateful for myself and how hard I've worked to get here.

This month has been a gift to me, full of love, appreciation for myself, and gratitude for those who have stood by me. Thank you for checking on us. I appreciate everyone's support and love.

A ship, a shell, and she.

"living my best life"


            
            
I'm here for you if you need a friend and remember to be kind to one another. 

Angie





This one is a little intense and discusses suicide. If you need help please reach out to the The Suicide and Crisis Hotline at 988. 








 


1 comment:

  1. Hey Angie. I really enjoyed reading this blog and your sharing from your heart about your struggles. If more people could learn to talk about things out in the open, we would be a much healthier society !

    Your words have painted the most beautiful and peaceful picture in my mind. Thank you so much,..Betty

    ReplyDelete

I'm moving to Steamboat Springs, Colorado!

  Exciting developments are on the horizon: I've secured a position at Steamboat Springs Resorts and have committed to a year-long lease...