Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Getting Prepared!

 Indeed, preparing to live in my van and embark on travels is my next step. 


My initial focus was on determining the affordability of van living.

Following my recent divorce, I received a modest settlement that enabled me to chase my dream of van life. While working part-time, I realized I did not wish to be employed during my travels in the van. Consequently, in March 2024, I resigned from my job to embrace an adventurous lifestyle.

Nonetheless, I recognized the importance of budgeting carefully.

Honestly, I'm not the best with money. I don't carry a large debt, but I do have financial goals. Budgeting is crucial with limited resources. In my marriage, we never budgeted and spent freely. Now, I monitor my bank account daily to track my expenses. Living without a fixed address has curbed my impulsive shopping and needless Amazon purchases, which were often due to boredom and depression. Downsizing has highlighted many unnecessary expenses and items in my life.

I've invested in a budgeting app to monitor my spending, bills, and financial waste.

To reduce costs, I avoid paid campsites, opting for free camping spots found through apps and other resources. I stick to simple meals and steer clear of luxury purchases like Starbucks coffee. I also compare gas prices for savings. Additionally, I've arranged for a friend to store four boxes of my items, as renting storage space can be costly

 The most difficult aspect of my journey toward minimalism was reducing my possessions. Having lived in my home for over twenty years, I had accumulated a lot of items. It was necessary for me to sift through everything and decide what to retain, discard, donate, or sell. This task was daunting and time-consuming. Eventually, I managed to organize my belongings by season and sport, resulting in just one duffel bag of clothes for the current season. I placed the remainder into storage, realizing that only a handful of essentials were truly necessary. I've noticed that I often wear the same few outfits.


Along with downsizing, I took responsibility for the family pets: two cats named Cooters and Kanye, and two dogs named Dolley and Roxy. Initially reluctant to take the cats, I decided it was best not to rehome them. Instead, I arranged for them to accompany us in our new mobile home.

Dolley, a four-year-old pit bull mix, is affectionate and prone to worry. Roxy, a twelve-year-old terrier, often barks and enjoys creating piles with her kibble. Cooters, the calico cat, is a food enthusiast who's never short of things to say. Kanye, the black cat and sole male of the group, is inquisitive and likes to observe the world from the passenger seat as we travel.


In preparation for the trip, I fashioned harnesses for the cats and gradually accustomed them to wearing these for brief intervals. Over time, they became at ease with the harnesses, and Kanye even began to stroll on his leash.

 In addition to feeding them, I provided treats for the cats while in the van. I've taken the dogs camping on multiple occasions, and on the departure day, all were safely contained and somewhat anxious. Yet, with each passing day, they became more inquisitive and gradually adapted to their new environment. Now, each one has found their own spot in the van and feels secure and at ease as we travel.


The dogs thoroughly enjoy their daily walks, appearing more at ease in the seclusion of the woods or when parked roadside, away from the world's bustle. The cats relish their sun-soaked naps. Meanwhile, I'm indulging in a flavorful chai tea latte, seated comfortably in my camp chair, gazing upon the majestic Great Sand Dunes of Colorado. May this message serve as inspiration for you to chase a long-held aspiration. I appreciate your time in reaching out to us. We appreciate it! Angie


























No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm moving to Steamboat Springs, Colorado!

  Exciting developments are on the horizon: I've secured a position at Steamboat Springs Resorts and have committed to a year-long lease...